Saturday, February 6, 2010

On the Road

As the light fades now at 4:36pm, I am heading to New York City. It's the beginning of something very new - in fact, it's the take-off point, quite literally, for a period of almost six months that I will be spending abroad in Dresden, Germany and gallivanting around the likes of Europe. I'm not armed with much ammo; two large suitcases with room to spare for all the fun trinkets I may find while abroad, and my handy dandy purple backpack.
It's weird how fast this moment has come... I remember everyone groaning when we had to apply wayyy the hell back in June for this program. But I'm now glad that we had this much time to wrap our heads around the idea of being in a foreign country (where most of us don't speak or understand the language!) for half a year. It's a bit surreal that this is actually happening - and to me, of all people. This is the kind of stuff that only happens in movies!
It was hard to leave my family, my friends, my school, and the city I've come to love over the past year and a half. But I'll have friends with me, and friends will certainly be made, and I'm sure I'll find another city to love just as much (but in a different way, of course!) I don't know how many people, if any, will actually follow this blog, but I wholeheartedly believe in living vicariously through others. Or at least keeping updated with their journeys... the choice is yours.
But I promise the next posts will not be nearly as boring or pensive as this - I have places to see and people to meet, and food to eat! Plus pictures will keep our short attention spans entertained, eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment